To drive app downloads of Telefonica’s wifi calling app TuGo to their Vivo customers in Brazil and create early momentum.
We had to achieve 130k new downloads in 6 weeks with a limited budget.
Analysis of previous marketing activities and customer research revealed that users didn’t properly understand the benefits of ‘WiFi calling’.
However the benefits of wifi calling were numerous:
- It means someone can make/receive important calls even when there is no reception
- They can make calls on tablets, laptops etc, hand if you’ve forgotten your phone or run out of battery.
- TuGo allows users to make calls when abroad for not extra cost, great for travellers.
- Opportunity to use the phone on the underground in certain cities.
So a big challenge was which benefit to use in the ads? And how to bring it to life in a Facebook.
Having identified the entire universe of Vivo customers in Facebook, we then further segmented them into specific value propositions, benefits and use cases:
Some examples include:
- Those who lived in poor reception areas – “Make interruption-free calls via internet”
- People who often travelled abroad > “No roaming costs”
- Users of competitor products > Keep your mobile number
- Multiple device owners > Make calls across various devices
We created a detailed test plan to explore the TuGo opportunity for Vivo in Facebook.
This consisted of:
- 600+ individual tests
- 24 core segments
- 10 primary messages
- 32 different creatives
We executed over 600 individual tests in just over 2 weeks and explored various combinations
We achieved the target 130k downloads in the 6 weeks.
However the big news was that we spent just 26% of the target budget that had been based on previous Facebook activity and recommendations from Facebook.
The results helped TrueUp achieve infamy within Telefonica. 12+ months later, we are still asked how we achieved such results.